Saturday, December 24, 2005

I Still Got It...

Some of y'all know the story already.... Those who do not will just have to enjoy the story for what it is.

Over a late lunch.... I said to her, "Ya know.... I've got to be honest with you. I was really under the impression that you have been flirting with me since we met... I know you have a "boyfriend", but I hate to think that I would misinterpret your friendly banter...."

There was a pause.

"Well," she said. "You know I have a boyfriend."

"Oh yes I do," I replied, leaning even more comfortably into my seat.

"So... yeah, I'm sorry."

"Hmmmmm..."

"What?"

"Well.... this is what those of us in the industry call, not answering the question." I said. "I wasn't trying to make you uncomfortable or anything, and to be perfectly honest, I probably think that half the women I see on the streets are secretly in love with me."

"Yeah.... I got that impression already."

"So...." I was really letting my passive-aggressiveness kick into full gear. "I apologize if I read you wrong, ya know... It's a side effect of thinking that the sun and the earth revolve around you. My Bad."

My words, apparently had done their job.


"So.... why are you here then? If you thought I was flirting with you, " she made a face as though the thought itself was as likely as gay unicorns, "and you know I have a boyfriend."

"I'm a naturally curious person, my friend. I am intrigued by intrigue. NOT knowing frustrates me, especially when I can find out what I want to know just from opening my mouth. I found out. It's worth it to me to know."

"Oh..."

"When we met, the way we were drawn to each other... come on, you were there..."

"Yeah"

She wasn't eating any longer.
I sipped deeply of my thai iced tea.

"Aren't you seeing anyone?" she asked, accusingly.

BINGO


"Me?" I asked, innocently. "Sista, I work two jobs, for somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 hours a week."

"Oh... so you don't have time..."

"Nah.... if I was seeing somebody, I would just work less."

I soon had to excuse myself, and we parted ways... After the formal, "Yeah, we should keep in touch, okay, yeah we should, okay, you got my email address, you know where I work, blah blah blah"

I walked my way.
She walked hers.

I glanced over my shoulder, knowing what I would see...

She was watching me....


I Still Got It...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.