Monday, June 18, 2007

Do you know what I do?


I get into random conversations with people, and when I tell them I'm a fundraiser, their eyes usually get really wide.

"A fundraiser?? I need some funds! How much can you raise?"
almost verbatim what comes out of everyone's mouth.

I meet so many people who do good work, youth groups, education, social work, health care. At a business mixer the other day I struck up a conversation with a dude who happens to be the CEO of the East Bay Youth Consortium, a non-profit working with at-risk in Richmond, CA. They do good work.

Just last week I found out that my neighbor is Executive Director of the SMAAC Youth Center.





One of my best friends is Executive Director of The Jabez Project, whose work is centered around preparing youth for the SAT/ACT and California's high school exit exam.

Now..... not to be arrogant. But I am one of the best fundraisers ever.
Through personal donor generation and solicitations, I have raised over $5 million, mainly from individual donors, not corporate grants. I have developed programs for donor acquisition, generation, cultivation, stewardship, solicitation and development which have hundreds of thousands of contributions and tens of millions of dollars.

My fundraising program now at UC Berkeley has raised over $3 million and we are weeks away from snatching UCLA's crown as the most successful in the country.

I don't mean to brag,
I don't mean to boast,
(But I'm like hot butter on your breakfast toast)

Why am I writing this?
Because.... on any given weekend, I can speak at a Fundraiser's Conference or Convention and make between $600 and $1600 to talk, coach, or motivate for a couple of hours.
And time permitting, my consultant's rate starts @ $75 per hour.

But for people who do good work, for the people who don't have the resources that Corporate America does, I GIVE MY TIME AWAY.

There are too many non-profits closing.
There are too many clinics closing.
There are too many after school programs closing.
There are too many music programs closing.

And the number one problem, is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
It's always money.

When you have to work a full-time job to pay the bills, it's hard to concentrate on another full-time job that ain't paying you.

I am a resource.
I live to give my time away.
Use me.

Want to make a film, but don't have the resources?
Have a 501(c)(3), but you're running it out of your living room?

Corporate America pays top dollar for this stuff.
We need to use our resources better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.