Friday, September 1, 2006

Last Night A Ninja Saved My Life (God Knows Exactly What I Need)

So... as far as my LA flaky people are concerned... I only called three people. Because I certainly have no plans of doing a tour of everybody I know. Plus, between Juju's and the Afrikan Marketplace, I'll likely run into everybody I know, plus people I'm not even thinking about.

So... only three people gave me the "I'm not sure what I'm doing" thing. The one constant, the one person who checked in, who checked and double checked, who expressed her excitement at my impeding arrival was your diva and mine... miss Lipgloss Junkie herself, the Diana Ross of the Desert, Miss Erica Socialite.

So since everybody else is doing "in tribute" blogs, it seems, there is mine.
Erica got my back.

Anyways... so, being offended, and truly stuck between decisions (to LA or not to LA) I wrote the blog previous to this.

I was at work when I typed it up
Five minutes after clicking "Post Blog" my phone rings...

"I never said that I wasn't going to see you.""I know... you said 'maybe.' Trust me I was truly honored to know you would consider fitting me in."
"Anyways... I am free this weekend. When are you coming?""Well, I'm not sure if I'm coming any longer, but I'll try to let you know."

Real ornery.
So I'm not being myself... I leave my office at around 10pm, hop into my car and began to head out of the parking lot.

"Oh! Fuck! A ninja!"

These words escaped MY lips.
Because a gosh damn NINJA did a ninja flip out of the darkness, and landed in the parking lot, not 15 feet from my passenger door.

I was as much in shock from cursing as I was from this ninja, dressed in black.

I swear unto my Lord, the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth that this happened.

A freakin' ninja, dressed in an all black ninja suit, with a ninja belt, a ninja hood with a ninja mask.

He struck a ninja pose and looked at me with his ninja eyes.

He was Black.

Yes, a Nigga Ninja.

I swear this true.



I was torn between two reactions. Part of me wanted to hit the gas and drive away. I mean, when there is a ninja involved, there has to be trouble.

But another part of me, the part of me that hangs with a 9, a 10, and a 13 year old, that part of me was dominant. I stared at the ninja, yet he didn't seem to notice me or my car. He ninja scampered along the corner of a building in the lot, so I did what anybody else would do.

I jumped out of my car (with my digital camera/camcorder) and ran after him, only slightly afraid of death by ninja star.

I turned the corner that he had, which leads to another wide open section of parking lot. He had only a 3 second lead on me, but by the time I got there, he had disappeared.

I did what any child of the 80's would do... I looked up the walls of the adjacent buildings to see if he was ninja crouching in the darkness, I looked for rope to see if he had climbed or used some kind of grappling hook to escape.

But I found nothing. And after a few moments the ridiculousness of what I was doing struck me. And so I laughed.

I laughed and held my stomach and staggered back to my car with tears in my eyes. And in that moment God released all of my hostilities, my resentments, anger I wasn't even aware that I had been holding onto.

Whatever happens, happens, and God is in charge, and I believe that no matter what I do, where I go, what choice I make, that he will take care of me. He always has.

And in that moment, it took a damn ninja to help me see.

So, LA here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.