Wednesday, November 8, 2006

On Voting

I wrote this letter to a friend and figured I could share it with y'all.
She emailed me, complaining that none in her circle would vote, and she asked if I had any advice on what to say to them.

My response:

I voted.
Yes, I did. I always vote. Primary, whatever, I always vote.

However... I don't think not voting is the worst thing that somebody can do. Seriously. Voting in this country means at best, picking the worst of two evils, and it is impossible to motivate or be motivated from that point. I think "we" need to really figure out why so many of "us" do not vote.

Most people believe that voting doesn't change anything. Are they wrong?
Democrats won the House and could win the Senate. Is life now going to get easier for Black People? Are there going to be fewer murders in Oakland? More jobs? Hell, are we going to stop killing brown people around the world? No.

The same Democrats who are in "power" now are the ones who approved and validated every one of Bush's moves. Patriot Acts, 2 public wars and 3 silent ones, military budget, Black Child Left Behind. Nothing is going to change.

Yes, I think it's very trifling to not vote, on GP. But the majority of Americans don't.

Maybe they know something that we refuse to admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.