Thursday, July 3, 2008

Do I [aka "You Called And Told Me"]

People think that I am manipulative.

To clarify this, I remind that I am a fundraiser. A very good fundraiser. My job entails getting money from people, for nothing in return. More often than not, they will give me far more than they would ever consider.

Persuasive? Yes. Plus, my logic is on point.
So what I say makes sense, yes?
Yes.


Alright, moving forward.
For those who don't know, I am recently single.
In all honesty, it lasted longer than it should have. Towards the end I found myself having to be very, very, very mean, short, cold, and hard-hearted in order to get the result I wanted.

"Please leave me alone. Please."

I was saying crazy things to her. I don't name call, and I don't curse, but I can still hurt and sting and insult with the best of the best of them. I'm pretty sure I can make the best of them cry and spend months doubting their life and purpose.

So, towards the end, I found myself asking, "Am I saying these things in order for her to leave me alone? Or, am I hoping that she will beg, plead, and promise to change?"

It took some time, but when I realized that no matter what she did, no matter what she said, no matter how she changed or what she promised to do, say or be... she would sickitate me.

So that was it.


Fast forward a month. I hit the rebound HARD. I put feelers out in all directions. I approached women, something I never ever do. But I was by myself, and I didn't really want to be by myself. And I figure that it's easier to find someone that I don't have complete and utter contempt for if I'm picking from 100 than from 10.

So I met Rebound Chick.
Rebound Chick is cool.
Very cool.
She's smart, cute, funny, and she digs me.

Most importantly, she's there.
This is important.


However, Rebound Chick is flawed. We're all flawed, yeah, but, I mean she's flawed in ways that make her GREAT as Rebound Chick, but would disqualify her from ascending to Partner, Girlfriend, Wife...

So.... she is flawed enough that when I am ready to no longer Rebound, I could bust out of the blue and say, "Hey, I'm looking for something more serious. However, I'm gonna have to let you go, because you don't have X or you do too much Y. But it's been nice. Gimme a pound."

But I'm not like that.

The flip side of it, is that most people aren't looking for UNSOLICITED feedback on their lifestyle, opinions, habits, faults, shortcomings, and other things which would make them just not.... right, for a particular situation.

This my friends, is a quandary.


Do I do nothing, say nothing, smile and laugh with her, knowing that soon I'll be removing myself?

OR, do I have the audacity to tell this woman, "Hey, Rebound Chick, I think you're great, this last month has been great. However, if you're thinking of moving this beyond anything more than just some casual outings and playful flirtation (which she has indicated), here is a list of things that will keep us from being compatible."




Either way, I'm an asshole.


So when presented with two bad choices...
Much like with Obama and McCain...

What do I do?

I choose neither.
So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.