Friday, July 25, 2008

Hard

I have two friends who have recently decided to leave their husbands.

Friend one credits me for convincing her to get married, ergo she was wide open for wack dude's advances. It became painfully obvious soon after they were married that dude was a "mark busta". Very casually one day she ended an email with "Pray for me. I am leaving my husband."

Sucks.


Friend two was at one time a close friend of mine. Leading up to the wedding, it seemed as though I was the only one who knew she should not have been getting  married to the dude. I carried that weight alone and debated between speaking on it for months. Many times, I came close. In the end, I kept my objections to myself, thinking I was being a "good friend" by just silently supporting her.

I couldn't attend the wedding. There was no way. So in the end, I protested, silently.


Since the wedding, her situation has deteriorated from being uncomfortable to being unbearable, and I feel terrible. I feel as if I had said something, if I had taken the risk, then maybe I could have saved her from this pain. If I had TRULY valued her as much as I say I did, then I should have spoken.

There are two reasons why I said nothing.
1- I don't know if she would have listened. I don't know, but in the coming months, I'm sure we'll discuss and I'll find out.

2- I don't think I wanted to (when it came down to it) bear the weight of being the one to upset her entire world. I've been there a hundred times with the "You need to do better, and you need to do better now" speech, some of y'all have probably gotten one from me... but never when you were picking out wedding dresses.

I

Feel

Terrible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.